Package from Microsoft that updates the installation of DirectX to 9.0c runtime which many modern games require.
DirectX 9.0c (which includes the runtime web installer) is a selection of technologies developed by Microsoft which make running rich and immersive gaming on Windows systems possible.
Most modern games require this prerequesite to be installed on your Windows system in order to function. The DirectX 9.0c package may be used to satisfy these requirements.
DirectX 9.0c includes support for Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader 3.0, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using DirectX.
The latest version of the Windows Gaming API includes the new High-Level Shader Language which new games can take advantage of.
It's already installed on Windows 7 and above
Windows 7 comes with a newer version of DirectX but is fully compatible with all of the new features of DirectX 9.0 and above. Additionally, in order to take advantage of the features of DirectX, you must ensure that you have installed a DirectX compliant video card.
If you're wanting an even newer version, DirectX 10 is also available. This version is the download of the redistributable version. That means it may be included in software packages or just simply used freely by anyone wishing to update their DirectX version on Windows XP or Windows 7 (32-bit).
The package contains the installer for Windows XP, the installer for Windows 7 and is compatible with the redistributable from February 2010 and June 2010. This web installer package works with DirectX 9 graphics devices with WDDM 1.0 or higher drivers. In case you run into issues when installing this package, you may have an older video card that is not compatible with DirectX 9.0c.
Please note: If you are using Windows 7 and a game or other programs requires you to have compatible video or audio driver installed, you should check to see whether there is a patch available for the game or program you have installed. In some cases, simply installing updated drivers for your video or audio card solves the problem. If updating drivers doesn't help, running the program in compatibility mode may.
DirectShow accelerates video rendering hardware, and Direct3D enhances low-level graphics programmability with new programmable vertex and pixel shader 2.0 models. DirectX 9.0c includes support for Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader 3.0.
The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing
Finally, you can give this application a go if you experience this issue on your computer. Though if you're running Windows 8, Windows 10 or Windows 11, it's unlikely to be of much help as these files come standard with the operating system itself.
Features of DirectX 9.0c
- 3D Audio: Supports 3D positional audio, allowing for a more immersive audio experience.
- DirectInput: Enables easy integration with gaming controllers and other input devices.
- DirectPlay: Allows for easy multiplayer game creation and management, with support for TCP/IP, IPX and modem connections.
- DirectShow Video Processing: Offers support for hardware accelerated video processing, allowing for faster video encoding and decoding.
- DirectSound 3D: Enhances the 3D audio experience with hardware acceleration and EAX environmental audio features.
- DirectX Media Objects: Provides a set of tools for creating streaming audio and video, with support for MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and WMV9 formats.
- Hardware Acceleration: Offers support for pixel shader and vertex shader 3.0, significantly increasing visual effects and graphics performance.
- High-Definition Display: Offers support for high-resolution displays, allowing for more detailed and realistic visuals.
- Multi-Adapter Support: Can work with multiple graphics adapters and cards, allowing for better performance and stability.
- Multi-Threading: Allows for greater performance by utilizing multiple threads of execution.
- Pixel Shader: Offers support for pixel shaders, allowing for more realistic lighting, shadows and special effects.
- Shader Model 2.0: Includes support for Shader Model 2.0, making it easier to create complex shader effects.
- Texture Compression: Enables the use of compressed textures, reducing the use of system memory.
- Vertex Shader: Supports vertex shaders, allowing for more complex 3D geometry and animations.
- Video Acceleration: Enhances video playback, allowing for smoother streaming and faster loading times.
Compatibility and License
DirectX 9.0c is provided under a freeware license on Windows from components with no restrictions on usage. Download and installation of this PC software is free and 9.0c is the latest version last time we checked.